June 17, 2011

My Heart Is Heavy

Hi everyone,

I've struggled over the last 24 hours as to whether or not I was going to post this.  Ultimately, I feel it's important to share my story with everyone, if it helps even one person.  First, I'd like you to meet my friend Ben.  Always smiling, always laughing, always there for everyone.  A beautiful human being.


Ben turned 29 two weeks ago, and took his last breath on Wednesday, June 15th, thanks to a careless driver who ran a red light because they were texting instead of paying attention to their driving.  It's a terrible tragedy.  He was killed instantly from the impact, and I'm glad that he didn't suffer. 

It's sad that this brilliant, amazing, wonderful young man won't get the opportunity to grace us with his presence ever again.  I tell you, one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life, was call his mother to let her know that her baby had been in an accident that he didn't survive.  I'm blessed to have had him in my life, even if for such a short time, and I will miss him beyond anything that I can describe.

I used to be one who texted while driving, and I never thought that one quick text could be the end of another persons life.  Sadly, that's exactly how the events of his passing went down almost 48 hours ago.  Recently, Texas has come up with a law stating that it will be illegal to text or talk on your phone while driving.  Unfortunately, it will come too late for any kind of real punishment for the driver who ended my friends life so carelessly.  The law does't take into effect until September.

Please, please, please, I beg of you, try to remember what's important when you're driving - everyone's safety.  I wouldn't wish this feeling of grief, and loss on anyone.  It is, however, a huge reminder as to just how short life can be. 

Don't forget to tell your loved ones how much you care about them, every chance you get.

11 comments:

Bananastamper said...

What a tragedy. You are so right - this is a sobering reminder that when we are driving, we should concentrate only on driving - no mulitasking or distractions.
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss...
Hugs,
Shanna

Patti J said...

Steph, I am so very sorry for your loss. What sadness. Every time I hit the highway, I'm passed by folks that are texting, reading maps, one day in the city, I even passed a Dr. holding x-rays up in front of him so the sun could shine through and he could read them. So senseless. You will be in my thoughts and prayers, dear friend. Hugs and blessings to you.

Valerie said...

I am so sorry for your loss Steph. You and Ben's family will be in my thoughts and prayers. What a tragic loss.

dstandard said...

Sooo sorry for your loss Steph - I'm a critical care nurse and know this happens all too often AND I live in Texas so I guess the law has made me even more aware. I used to also but making it a law has changed me on that and I don't anymore. Hugs - being a CC nurse makes me always try to remember to say those words when I get a chance because I know there may never be another chance.

Debby said...

Steph, I am so sorry for your loss. Our thoughts are with you and Ben's family.

Shoshi said...

Oh Steph, what a terrible tragedy... He looks such a lovely young man in the photo. I cannot imagine how you all must be feeling.

It has been the law for some time here in the UK not to use a mobile phone whilst driving; it carries heavy penalties. Let's hope that this soon becomes a universal law, and that precious lives may be saved.

I am glad that Ben brought you such blessing in your life, even if for so short a time. Through you, and his other friends, and family, he will live on, and not be forgotten.

Praying for you all.

Sparkplug17 said...

I'm sorry for your loss!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Oh Steph, I'm so sorry for your loss! This is tragic indeed.

We need to make something good come from this - you've taken the first step in sharing the story, making the plea for the insanity to stop. I will carry it forward. Perhaps together we can all make a difference.

Keeping you close in my prayers.
Hugs!

Sara Mac said...

Steph, I am so sorry for your loss. This is heartbreaking for sure. {{{HUGS}}}

Pretty Paper Junkie said...

I am glad you posted this. What a tragedy. I am so sorry for you loss.

Susan said...

I am so very sorry for the loss of your dear friend. May happy memories sustain you during this time of grief.